Bayer Solutions: Pharaoh Ants
Pharaoh ants (Monomorium pharaonis) are small, yellow ants that are considered a major pest in many parts of the world. They survive in indoor areas by building nests in walls, cabinets, insulation and other undisturbed, well-protected dark places.
Maxforce Quantum offers long-lasting, effective control of most major ants including the troublesome pharaoh ants.
Pharaoh ants (Monomorium pharaonis) are small, yellow ants that are considered a major pest in many parts of the world. They survive in indoor areas by building nests in walls, cabinets, insulation and other undisturbed, well-protected dark places. Pharaoh ants are able to grow from egg to adult in just 38 days and they typically have multiple queens that allow for colony relocation. They are particularly problematic in residential and commercial buildings as well as hospitals due to their capacity to spread contaminants (including diseases) from place-to-place.
// What to Look For
• Pharaoh ants prefer nesting in dark places such as in walls, beneath floorboards, near heaters, under carpeting, etc.
• Monitor for ants trailing in or near these locations as well as behind baseboards, above ceilings, in furniture, light fixtures, and in or around food or garbage
• Look for activity around utility and plumbing penetrations; around appliances generating heat and anywhere ants may find food, warmth and moisture
• Pre-bait with a 50/50 mixture of honey and water to help locate ant activity and confirm feeding preference for bait
• Educate customers on removing competing food sources before implementing a baiting program
Maxforce Quantum offers long-lasting, effective control of most major ants including troublesome species like pharaoh ants. The unique hygroscopic water retaining formulation with a the highly effective active ingredient imidicloprid, offers long-lasting control in comparison to other gel type baits that begin to lose moisture immediately. The non-drying formulation is highly attractive to ants and remains moist for up to three months. Delayed action kill allows the ants to return to the colony to feed the bait to larvae and the queen, which leads to eventual eradication of the colony. Research has shown fast mortality action with Maxforce Quantum. Complete worker mortality has been shown in as little as 4 days, and colony elimination is usually within weeks depending on the size of the nest.
// How to use Maxforce Quantum
1) Apply Maxforce Quantum at .2 g (3 drops) per linear metre as a crack and crevice or spot treatment. Maxforce Quantum may also be applied in a bait station in areas inaccessible to children and/or pets. Remember to read and follow all product label directions.
2) Place bait in areas of known foraging activity, along foraging trails and into nest sites.
3) Do not place baits on surfaces that have been sprayed with insecticide or apply insecticides over bait placements. Customers should refrain from applying cleaning products around baiting sites or foraging trails.
4) Re-apply where bait has been consumed until recruitment by workers is virtually eliminated. This may take weeks.
// 2013 PURDUE UNIVERSITY – PHARAOH ANT CONTROL RESEARCH (DR. BUCZKOWSKI)
Recent Pharaoh Ant Research Shows Maxforce Quantum offers Far Superior Control vs. Two commonly Used Competitive Baits.
// KEY RESULTS
• Maxforce Quantum provided complete worker mortality in just 4-5 days. Other baits were much slower and did not result in 100% mortality in the 10-day test
• Maxforce Quantum was the only bait that gave complete queen mortality
• Complete brood elimination was achieved with Maxforce Quantum only. Other baits still showed a majority of the brood present on day 10
• Efficacy of Maxforce Quantum was similar against both Pharaoh ants and odorous house ants